Thought for the Day 21 September 2017
Did you ever wonder about democracy? Here are some questions I’ve been asking. Is it a good system or not? Is South Africa really a democracy? If it is a good basic approach, are we implementing it properly? And the most important question of all is my thought for today.
“If democracy really is the answer, are politicians the best people to implement it?”
I hate sweeping generalizations so perhaps this question is too broad. But let me use some supporting questions in the form of a little quiz:
- Are all politicians honest? Y/N
- Do all politicians have integrity? Y/N
- Have all politicians never been corrupt Y/N
- Do all politicians always put the needs/interests of the people of the country first? Y/N
- Do all politicians need a spokesperson? (Shouldn’t they speak for themselves?) Y/N
- Do all politicians need a blue-light brigade? (If they are doing a great job, why do they need so much security?) Y/N
- Should all politicians support the party line even if it isn’t in the interests of the people in the country? Y/N
- Should all MP’s be chosen by their party? (Rather than being individually elected by the people in a constituency?) Y/N
- Should leaders of a ruling political party, be able to remain in power even if it is clearly not in the interests of the people and the country? Y/N
- Should it be possible for a politician to be appointed as an MP or given an important job, even without any integrity, qualifications or relevant experience? Y/N
I suspect that any of you, who have honestly answered these questions, will have replied “N” to them all. I certainly did. So what, you may ask? Well, if the majority of people answer “N” to all these questions then it proves that politicians, in general, are amongst the most unsuitable people to be in power and most are not qualified for the position, either morally or intellectually. (Let it be said that I don’t think my analysis applies to all politicians, just too many of them!)
We need to decide if we want this idiocy to continue.